Imaging Source camera with UFOCapture

新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English
前のトピックを表示 :: 次のトピックを表示  
投稿者 メッセージ
Jarmo Moilanen

登録日: 2006.12.02
記事: 4
所在地: Finland

記事日時: Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 pm    記事の件名: Imaging Source camera with UFOCapture 引用付きで返信

I am interested Imaging Source's astro camera DMK 41AU02.AS with has 1/2" cell. Have anybody tested those Imaging Source's cameras with UFOCapture? Do they work together?

I am looking for new high resolution camera for my all-sky camera which is working in Finland. I have now 1/2" Watec 902H with Sunex DSL215 F/2 fish-eye lens giving me 185° FOV. I can get 720x576 px resolution out of it with 25 fps which means that the sky is about 570 px wide. Limiting magnitude is about +3.5.

Now I would like to have better resolution than that. DMK 41AU02.AS has resolution of 1280x960 px so I should get about 950 px wide image of the sky.

Driver of the camera seems to support DirectX so according to that it should work with UFOCapture and it can be connected to computer via USB2.0 or Firewire (different models). But how UFOCapture can handle that 1280x960 pixel resolution I am interested? That 1/2" camera model gives only 15 fps frame rate at maximum and I probably are going to use it or even slower 7.5 fps with longer exposure time.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
SonotaCo
Site Admin

登録日: 2004.08.07
記事: 12653
所在地: 139.67E 35.65N

記事日時: Fri May 01, 2009 9:43 pm    記事の件名: Re: Imaging Source camera with UFOCapture 引用付きで返信

Hi
Jarmo Moilanen wrote:
I am interested Imaging Source's astro camera DMK 41AU02.AS with has 1/2" cell. Have anybody tested those Imaging Source's cameras with UFOCapture? Do they work together?

Yes they do. We are using Imaging Source DMK31AF03.AS and DMK41AU02.AS for sprite observation.
They work with UFOCapture, but I would not recommend them for Meteor observation.
Because its sensitivity is a bit lower than WAT902H2Ultimate.
And they do not have iris control pins, therefore gain should be tuned manually for sky condition.
See http://sonotaco.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1688

Slow shutter like 7.5 fps is NOT recommended for short time event like meteors or sprite at all.
It increase the back ground brightness but not increase the brightness of moving event.
Therefore, it decrease the contrast of the object, and decreases the detection ability a lot.

Well,,,,
Almost all of meteor observer in Japan are using narrow lens such as 6mm(60deg) or 8mm(45deg).
And using multiple cameras to cover wider view. I think it is the best way to keep the accuracy
and detection ability.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
Jarmo Moilanen

登録日: 2006.12.02
記事: 4
所在地: Finland

記事日時: Sat May 02, 2009 3:51 am    記事の件名: Re: Imaging Source camera with UFOCapture 引用付きで返信

SonotaCo wrote:
Hi
Yes they do.

Thank you for this information. This was all I wanted to know.
Quote:
We are using Imaging Source DMK31AF03.AS and DMK41AU02.AS for sprite observation.
They work with UFOCapture, but I would not recommend them for Meteor observation.
Because its sensitivity is a bit lower than WAT902H2Ultimate.
And they do not have iris control pins, therefore gain should be tuned manually for sky condition.
See http://sonotaco.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1688

Yes. I am aware of that they have quite poor sensitivity and there is no iris control. But my all-sky lens have fixed iris so iris control is not an issue. Sensitivity is an issue thou.
Quote:
Slow shutter like 7.5 fps is NOT recommended for short time event like meteors or sprite at all.
It increase the back ground brightness but not increase the brightness of moving event.
Therefore, it decrease the contrast of the object, and decreases the detection ability a lot.

Yes, I know. That is all true. Problem is that my all-sky lens has fixed F/2. So with not so sensitive camera and slow lens there may be problems to get enough stars visible for alignment with short exposures.
Quote:
Well,,,,
Almost all of meteor observer in Japan are using narrow lens such as 6mm(60deg) or 8mm(45deg).
And using multiple cameras to cover wider view. I think it is the best way to keep the accuracy
and detection ability.

True again. My all-sky camera is for fireballs only, so losing some faint meteors is not an issue. Possibility that I may loose faint start or end parts of a fireball is in the other hand a big issue.
Imaging Source camera is only one option I am studying now. I am about to update my system during the summer and it is seems possible that I do not go for those Imaging Source cameras just because poor sensitivity. However, I would like to have better resolution available for that all-sky camera.
Thank you for your answer.
トップに戻る
ユーザーのプロフィールを表示  
特定期間内の記事を表示:   
新しいトピックを投稿   トピックに返信    SonotaCo.JP Forum Index -> UFOCapture BBS in English All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

移動先:  
新規投稿: 不可
返信投稿: 不可
記事編集: 不可
記事削除: 不可
投票参加: 不可
このフォーラムで添付ファイルを投稿 できません
このフォーラムでファイルをダウンロード できます